Pages

Friday, September 20, 2013

Soup Kind of Weather

Yes, fall is upon us, even here in sunny SoCal. Today was not so sunny, but warm. Its that time of year there is a crispness in the air in the evenings. Crispness always makes me want soup and bread rolls, and anything pumpkin. So tonight I thought I'd bust out one of my go-to recipes. Its a little time consuming, but I've figured out a few short cuts that still make a satisfying soup.
My Dish w/Parmesan Rosemary Rolls
On a tangent: I received this soup 4 1/2 years ago when my friend Kellie delivered it to us after the birth of my son. I immediately called her the next day for the recipe. I must say, my friend can cook!
On another note: The Amish also have a traditional Beef & Barley Soup recipes, which are very very similar to mine like, this one at Mr.Food.com. Anyway...I'm going to share my version of the recipe. After all, I have to put my twist on things.
Beef Mushroom Barley Soup
Ingredients:
  • 4 Tbsp olive oil or butter
  • 1 lb. beef stew meet diced into 1/2" pieces (trust me, smaller is way better!!!)
  • Salt & Pepper to your liking
  • 1 onion diced
  • 8 oz of crimini mushrooms chopped
  • 2 carrots diced
  • 3 garlic cloves minced
  • 1/2 cup Barley
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes
  • 6 cups of Beef Broth
Directions:
  • First off, I like to start the barley cookin, so in a large pot add the broth, tomatoes and barley. Heat up to a boil, then turn down to low.
  • While thats simmering, dice your other ingredients starting with your beef. In a skillet heat 2 tsp of oil, add beef with salt/pepper and brown all sides. Remove beef with a straining spoon into the pot of simmering stock.
  • Back to the skillet (don't bother to drain if you like the beef flavor), heat another 2 tsp of oil add onion, mushrooms and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes then add carrots. Cook another 5 minutes.
  • Remove all ingredients from skillet in to the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes on low. Since everything is diced small, it cooks faster. Now ENJOY!
Let me know if you try this recipe. Love to hear how it goes!
>>-- Lindsay -->
P.S. I can't wait to make and share my fav pumpkin chocolate chip recipe with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something...anything.