Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Liberated Star Quilt

My MIL (Mother in Law) has plans to remodel her guest room.  So we landed on a design which wasn't too hard.  I knew she loved modern design and so I tried not to show her too many options.  She instantly fell in love with this one by Red Pepper Quilts.

 Liberated Star Quilt by Red Pepper Quilts

My chosen fabric stash for this one so far has many of the same prints form the Collage line by Carrie Bloomston of Such Designs for Windham Fabrics plus a bunch more purples and aquas, which will be the main colors of the room.  We found a few more low volumes we like and are trying to keep the use of red & yellow to a minimum so that they don't get too loud in the overall quilt.


Here are a couple of my blocks.  So far she likes it.  I'm trying my best to minimize waste with this liberated quilt block.  It's a bit tricky, but after doing much math and some test blocks, I think I've got it down.  


This will be a queen size quilt and so I've calculated out larger blocks (12" finished) to help reduce cutting.  There will be a total of 56 blocks.  I've only got 52 to go!

Lindsay

1 comment:

  1. I just replied to ur older post about household soap,then took a look at who u r,a quilter!! I study American quilts. I am currently washing a group of unsewn fabric pieces from approx 100 years ago. As i lay them out to dry, smoothing them as i go, i wonder if the original owner had a specific type of quilt in mind; the pieces are quite small,and some seem cut into shapes. I will iron them after they dry,then do some research in old textile books to see if i can narrow down the age of these fabrics (all cotton). What was once a dirty bunch of "nothing" is transformed into a fascinating assortment of old bits, of many different patterns. I luv fabric i luv quilts !!!!

    ReplyDelete

Say something...anything.